March 23, 2009

Interview with Director Jameel Saleem..


Where are you originally from? I was born in Philadelphia, PA but I moved to Baltimore, MD when I was 9 so I remember more of Baltimore.


What might people recognize you from if they don't know who Jameel is?They might recognize me as that guy who does the funny skits on Youtube.



How and when did you get started in the Entertainment business? I started acting professionally on the east coast in 2000 when my Dad put me into an acting school.. I was sort of heading down the wrong road, and that put me on track.


Did someone inspire you to get in to the Industry, if so who? My first acting teacher J.T. Wagner inspired me to get into the Industry. Before her, I didn't think it was a realistic goal.


I did some research on you and read that you were pursuing a singing career before you started directing.. Is that true, and if so what happened?I've been rapping and making music since I was 14.. At one point I had a manager in New York and was shopping deals with Sony and TVT but the offers were terrible, so I got discouraged and decided to stick to my true love which is film. I will release and album one day, but it's more for me than anything else. I'm not interested in becoming a rap star, It's just a hobby.

Do you have any words of wisdom? True happiness comes from what you do, not what you have. If you have any doubt in your heart, then you're almost guaranteed to fail. Throw away all doubt and go for your dream with an unwavering pig-headed discipline and determination.

If you could meet any director in the world, who would it be? Woody Allen.. My idol. He's one director I know that doesn't take himself too seriously. In other words, he doesn't think he's "all that", or at least he doesn't show people that he thinks he's "all that". He's soooooo talented and his work is so unique and smart. He also stars in many of his movies and that's something that I definitely will do.

What seperates you from other directors that have been doing this for years? What is a typical work day for you? I like do tell stories and do things that have never been done, that's what seperates me. I new point of view from a director that doesn't belittle his audience with unintelligent concepts and stories.

Do you get any down time to have fun and if so what do you like to do? On my down time I like to watch movies (what a suprise) especially 80s and cartoon movies, they remind me of my childhood.. I just watched "Bolt" and "Little Monsters" and the other night I watched the "Back to the Future" trilogy

Tell us something people may not know about you... I lift weights and workout everyday.. I don't want to be like most directors (out of shape).

What's one word that describes your personality? Silly.

Are you currently working on any projects? I'm in pre-production on a romantic comedy and I just finsihed directing a reality show pilot being pitched to MTV.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? In five years I will be the first african-american director to win an Academy Award for Directing, and much much more.


If you were to die tomorrow, what would you want to be remembered for?For being a good example of a human being.


Do you have any secrets for being successful in this industry? Don't be like the rest of them. Out here in Hollywood, it's the blind leading the blind.


Name 3 of your favorite movies.. Annie Hall, The Princess Bride, The Goonies.


How can readers get in touch with you? www.myspace.com/saleem


2 comments:

  1. I posted a blog piece featuring Reelblack's Short Film Showcase in which Jameel's film "The People Outside" was shown. I've linked back to your interview with him - http://www.tinseltine.com/2011/01/reelblack-short-film-showcase-recap.html

    ReplyDelete